Thursday, March 17, 2011

MythTV - adventures in Home Theatre

I have just ordered almost everything I need to finish the MythTV build.  The only thing I'll be lacking is an IR Blaster ($12), which I couldn't have gotten at WalMart anyway, except as part of a MUCH more expensive capture card (literally 70 more than the one I got).  As I spent all but $0.40 or so of my budget, I couldn't get the expensive one and get everything else.  The IR blaster is not truly needed, as long as I don't expect the MythBox to be able to change channels on the DirecTV.  OK, here are the specs:  32" Element 720p HDTV/DVD combo, Dell gx620 running Ubuntu 10.10 and Myth TV 0.24 (2.6 ghz processor, 2 gb ram, 60 gb hd (i know, tiny, but access to 3 TB across the network....) , DVD burner, 1 gb ATI graphics card with DVI out, etc)
  No wireless keyboard/mouse (yet), so i'll be using the standard ones thru an USB hub attached to a 10' extension cable run under the rug.  The hub will also give me a handy place to stick in a thumb drive or charge an mp3 player or phone (it's a powered hub...)  On the list for upgrades:  IR Blaster, SSD for rapid booting, wireless keyboard/mouse, large additional hd (1-3 TB range) for media storage (backing things up onto DVDs is gonna get old fast), additional capture card and Direct tv box to record 2 shows simultaneously.  I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment